The initial school was built of local limestone and situated on the Rathkeale Road. It was originally a Fever Hospital and later converted into a school. It was given to the Christian Brothers by the 3rd Earl of Dunraven in 1853 and has played a very important role in the education of the young boys of Adare and the region down through the years. A former pupil, Sean O’Riada, composer, contributed to the revival of Irish music. He lived part of his formative years in Adare.
The modern school was built in 1965 and further extensions have been added down through the years. The school, now known as Scoil Naomh Iósaf, has a completely lay staff and continues the strong tradition of educating young boys from Adare.